Welcome The Schilling School for Gifted Children
Spelling and Vocabulary Test
TimeFeb. 03, 2012
These are the words and definitions to study for your vocabulary test on Friday, Feb. 3rd
1. Predisposition -The fact or condition of being predisposed. Happens beforehand.
2. Prolonged- To lengthen out in time; extend the duration of; cause to continue longer.
3. Presumably- By assuming reasonably; probably.
4. Manipulation- The act of manipulating. To handle or manage.
5. Shrewd- Astute or sharp in practical matters.
6. Etymologists- The derivation of a word.
7. Appalling- Causing dismay or horror.
8. Xenophobe- A person who fears or hates foreigners, strange customs, etc.
9. Apportion- To distribute or allocate proportionally.
10. Obsequious- Characterized by or showing servile complaisance or deference. Obedient.
11. Indulged- To yield to an inclination or desire; allow oneself to follow one's will.
12. Trepidation- Tremulous fear, alarm, or agitation; perturbation.
13. Floundering- To struggle with stumbling or plunging movements.
14. Idyllic - Charmingly simple or rustic.
15. Gist - The main or essential part of a matter.
16. Tranquil- Free from commotion or tumult; peaceful; quiet; calm.
17. Scintillating- Animated; vivacious; effervescent.
18. Austere- Severe in manner or appearance.
19. Snippet- A small bite or fragment.
20. Angst -A feeling of anxiety or apprehension, accompanied by depression.
21. Myriad -Constituting a very large, indefinite number.
22. Doggedly - Stubbornly persevering; tenacious. Determined.
23. Dejectedness- the state of feeling depressed.
24. Subterranean- underground.
25. Anomaly- a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form.
26. Oblong- elongated.
27. Feebly- weakly.
28. Reconcile- to win over to friendliness; cause to become amicable.
29. Sundered- to separate; part; divide; sever.
30. Convulse(d): To shake violently