Welcome JOHN PAUL THE GREAT ACADEMY
American Literature: Weeks of Sept. 17 and 24
TimeSept. 16, 2012
Monday, 17 September 2012
• Wrap up discussion of The Power and the Glory – Part 4, Syntopical/Critical Summer Reading Q&A
• TPATG Analytical Essay Assignment (handout) – discuss possible topics as a class.
• Review Composition Rubric and Essay Outline (handout)
• Discuss Academic Integrity (handout)
HW: Analytical Essay topic and outline due Wednesday, 19 September.
Wednesday, 19 September 2012
Analytical Essay topic and outline due
• Activity: The Via Crucis of the Whisky Priest (handout)
• Review Literary Terms for Unit 1 (handout)
HW: Work on TPATG Analytical Essay – due next Friday, 28 September. Study Literary Terms for Quiz on Monday, 24 September.
Friday, 21 September 2012 – “B” DAY (NO CLASS)
Monday, 24 September 2012
• Unit 1 Literary Terms QUIZ
• DVD on the Persecution of the Church in Mexico
HW: Continue work on TPATG Analytical Essay – due this Friday, 28 September.
Wednesday, 26 September 2012
• Brief background lecture for Early American nonfiction works
• In-class reading and Q&A worksheet: excerpt from The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin and George Whitefield’s sermon “The Almost Christian”
HW: Complete TPATG Analytical Essay – due Friday, 28 September.
Friday, 28 September 2012
The Power and the Glory Analytical Essay due
• In-class reading and Q&A worksheet: Jonathan Edwards’ sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God”