Welcome Heronfield Academy
Course Description - Algebra 1
TimeSept. 27, 2011
to:Math 7 - Algebra 1, B
Honesty Respect Diligence Celebration Caring
The topic of the Orange Mathematics curriculum will encompass algebraic concepts. Through the study of one variable equations, two variable equations, exponential and quadratic functions, and finally radical and rational functions the students will have a strong foundation in mathematics to build upon. Students will use their mathematical talents to explore strategies/topics such as: creative problem solving, logical reasoning, and mathematical communication. We will be using graphing calculators as well as other forms of technology to help us analyze and interpret data, and develop problem solving skills that will apply to real life applications.
My goals for this class will be to develop problem solving skills to promote mathematical thinking in order to describe, analyze, evaluate, and make reasonable decisions using the power of mathematics. We will also learn problem solving strategies, including algebraic equations and inequalities, using sets, graphing, sketching diagrams, using patterns, interpreting date, modeling, analyzing numerical relationships, as well as estimation techniques.
My expectations for students:
• To be honest and ethical, and practice strong moral values
• To treat all members of the school community and all visitors with politeness and respect
• To honor the ideas of others
• To offer to help
• To be responsible with property and belongings
• To ask for help
• Arrive to class on time and prepared with all necessary material
• Be a polite and positive participant in class discussions
• Turn in all assignments on time - NO WORK IN YOUR TEXTBOOK!
• Take thorough notes and participate during class
• Find out what you missed if you were absent
• Learn to use and apply the technology tools to solve problems
• 3-ring binder with 4 dividers (1. Class notes, 2. Homework, 3. Quizzes/ Test, 4. Labs/Projects)
• Lined paper in binder
• Pencil and eraser
• Graphing calculator and Scientific calculator
• Academic Behavior Grade (%) of total grade - similar to a Final Exam
• All work is expected to be turned in on the assigned due date! Points will be deducted for all late work unless student is absent.
• If a student is absent, all work must be turned in upon return to school.
• All missed quizzes, tests, and lab activities must be made-up within a week of student’s return to school.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns throughout the school year. I am looking forward to working with the students of Heronfield Academy and their families!