Welcome Heronfield Academy
Course Description - Course 2
TimeSept. 27, 2011
to:Math 6, A
Honesty Respect Diligence Celebration Caring
The topic of the Blue Mathematics curriculum will encompass math concepts. Through the study of decimals, fractions, integers, algebra, proportions, percents, geometry, and measurement the students will have a strong foundation in mathematics to build upon. Students will develop problem-solving strategies using techniques such as data collection and organization, estimation, modeling, and simple equations. They will solve problems using a variety of equipment including technological tools such as calculators and geometric devices such as compasses, protractors, and rulers.
My goals for this class will be to develop problem solving skills to promote mathematical thinking in order to describe, analyze, evaluate, and make reasonable decisions using the power of mathematics. We will also learn problem solving strategies for solutions to situations relevant to real-life experiences and interests. Finally, the students will gain confidence in their mathematical ability so that they may achieve at a higher level.
My expectations for students:
• To be honest and ethical, and practice strong moral values
• To treat all members of the school community and all visitors with politeness and respect
• To honor the ideas of others
• To offer to help
• To be responsible with property and belongings
• To ask for help
• Arrive to class on time and prepared with all necessary material
• Be a polite and positive participant in class discussions
• Turn in all assignments on time
• Take thorough notes and participate during class
• Find out what you missed if you were absent
• Learn to use and apply the technology tools to solve problems
• 3-ring binder with 3 dividers (1. Class notes, 2. Homework, 3. Quizzes/ Test, or Labs/Projects)
• Lined paper in binder
• Pencil and eraser
• Ruler, protractor, compass (provided in class)
• Scientific calculator
• Academic Behavior (%) - Similar to a Final Exam
• All work is expected to be turned in on the assigned due date! Points will be deducted for all late work unless student is absent.
• If a student is absent, all work must be turned in upon return to school.
• All missed quizzes, tests, and lab activities must be made-up within a week of student’s return to school.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns throughout the school year. I am looking forward to working with the students of Heronfield Academy and their families!